Star Wars: Year in Review
The year is almost over and yet looking back there’s been enough Star Wars action to fill a decade, with landmark books, television episodes, conventions, announcements, deaths, acquisitions and much, much more happening.
Here’s our bullet list run through the last 365 days of Star Wars and here’s hoping the next year is just as eventful.
- 1st January: Bob Anderson dies at the age of 89 The legendary swordsmaster who played Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi passed away on New Years Day, and yet another crew member of the Original Trilogy left us.
- 10th January: Star Wars: Darth Plagueis Quite possibly the most anticipated book release since Stovers Revenge of the Sith novelisation, Plagueis gave fandom and the EU what it had long wanted, an in-depth look into the motivations of Palpatine and his master. And it delivered.
- 26th January: Ian Abercrombie dies at the age of 77 The ‘other Ian’ who portrayed Chancellor Palpatine and Darth Sideous in The Clone Wars, Abercrombie was an integral part of the The Clone Wars family.
- January: Season Four of The Clone Wars Continues During January we were treated to Escape from Kadavo on 6th January, A Friend in Need on the 13th, Deception on the 20th and Friends and Enemies on the 27th.
As we enter the 35th year of Star Wars we lose two stars of the galaxy and learn more about the elusive Darth Plagueis…
Star Wars goes 3D and breaks a billion with the Phantom Menace…
- 2nd February: Medicinema Charity Quiz and Dinner A team consisting of members of Jedi News and the Star Wars Insider won the inaugural Medicinema Star Wars Charity Dinner and Quiz at the Hilton Park Lane in London, beating teams captained by Jeremy Bulloch, Nick Gillard and Warwick Davis
- 10th February: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace in 3D The saga returned to the big screen in dazzling 3D as The Phantom Menace took the first prequel over the billion dollar barrier, the first Star Wars film to achieve this feat.
- 22nd February: Star Wars: Jedi—The Dark Side The trade paperback of the popular Qui-Gon prequel story is released, just one of a glut of high-quality this year.
- 28th February: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived and Red Harvest Both are released in paperback, Deceived coming in hot off the recent release of Star Wars: The Old Republic and Red Harvest after the success of Death Troopers.
- February: Season Four of The Clone Wars Continues During February we got The Box on 3rd February, Crisis on Naboo on the 10th and Massacre on the 24th.
A month of endings as we lose Ralph McQuarrie, Fate of the Jedi concludes and The Clone Wars season four finishes with the return of Darth Maul in Revenge…
- 3rd March: Ralph McQuarrie dies at the age of 82 The Star Wars galaxy lost one of its leading lights as Ralph McQuarrie passed. The man who brought Star Wars to visual life, if George Lucas is The Maker, Ralph was The Creator.
- 13th March: Fate of the Jedi Apocalypse The ninth and final chapter in the Fate of the Jedi series is released, ending the latest multi-part series from Del Rey.
- March: Season Four of The Clone Wars Concludes During March we got Bounty on 2nd March, Brothers on the 9th and the return of Darth Maul in Revenge on the 16th.
Essential and Visual Guides lead the month as Kinect teaches the galaxy how to boogie…
- 3rd April: The Essential Guide to Warfare Jason Fry’s detailed examination of warfare in the Star Wars hits the streets, packed with lush artwork.
- 3rd April: Kinect Star Wars released Want to be a Jedi? Or a rampaging rancor? Maybe some galactic funk is more up your street? Whatever your mood, Kinect can provide.
- 19th April: Star Wars Identities: The Exhibition opens in Montreal and Edmonton Get to know the characters of Star Wars on a whole new level. 200 original costumes, props, models, and pieces of artwork are yours to discover up close.
- 25th April: Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost 6 The return of a Dark Horse fan favourite comes to a conclusion, all wrapped in amazing Dave Dorman covers.
- 30th April: Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded With the release of The Phantom Menace in 3D it was time to update and expand the indispensible Ultimate Visual Guide, including new LEGO sets, The Force Unleashed and an updated timeline and galaxy map.
The anniversary month. A decade of Attack of the Clones, five years of The Clone Wars and 35 years of A New Hope…
- 16th May: 10th anniversary of Attack of the Clones An overlooked classic, Attack of the Clones changed the landscape of the Star Wars galaxy forever and introduced a Yoda you just wouldn’t want to mess with.
- 23rd May: Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison 1 Written by Haden Blackman and sitting by covers drawn by Dave Wilkins and Tsuneo Sanda, Ghost Prison continued the story of Lord Vader after Revenge of the Sith as he tightens the Emperors grip on the galaxy.
- 23rd May: The Star Wars Cookbook: Wookiee Pies, Clone Scones, and Other Galactic Goodies It’s hungry work being a Star Wars fan, especially in this year when there was so much going on. This third cookbook release gave GFFA Moms and Dads the chance to get creative in the kitchen with their younglings.
- 30th May: Star Wars: Knight Errant: Deluge The story of Kerra Holt continues in John Jackson Millers second trade paperback chronicling her adventures.
Lucasfilm gains a new co-chairman and Star Wars focuses on classic and reprinted material…
- 1st June: Kathleen Kennedy Announced Co-Chair of Lucasfilm One of the worlds leading producers joined Lucasfilm as co-chairman, a part of George Lucas’ plan to fully retire in two years time.
- 6th June: Omnibus: Droids and Ewoks Classic Marvel Star Comics collated into one kiddie-friendly collection.
- 26th June: Choices of One paperback Timothy Zahn returns to the EU with this Mara Jade tale.
Summer arrives, bringing a slow news month as the final weeks to Celebration VI pass by…
- 17th July: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Collection The classic Knights of the Old Republic PC games, brought together on one release. Essential early millenium titles, and essential purchases for Star Wars: The Old Republic gamers.
- 24th July: Star Wars Insider 135 This issue focused on three decades of video games in the Star Wars universe as well as interviews with Aaron Allston, Robert Watts and Billy Dee Williams.
New X-Wing, the biggest party of the summer, more 3D and another Celebration…
- 7th August: X-wing: Mercy Kill The long overdue return to the X-Wing books, Allston delighted fandom with this eagerly awaited tale.
- 17th August: X-Wing Miniatures Game Fantasy Flight Games entered the GFFA at GenCon and kickstarted a renaissance in tabletop and RPG gaming.
- 23rd August: Celebration VI The biggest party of the summer arrived in Orlando Florida for the weekend of the 23rd to the 26th August and it was a blast!
- 23rd August: Remembering Ralph McQuarrie: Dreamer and Visionary Launched at Celebration VI this was a fitting tribute to the great man.
- 26th August: Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith 3D Announced The 3D releases of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are announced onstage by Lucasfilms Mary Franklin.